20040709: Would like to get the LDM Data feed for UNC

>From: "Huffines, Gary" <address@hidden>

Hi Gary,

>I was just hired here at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley
>last August and now find myself as the only meteorology faculty member,
>data administrator, and chief bottle washer.

Bummer!  There are way too many folks out there that have been saddled
with the same set of responsibilities!!

>I would like to get the
>LDM data service running here, but am a little overwhelmed by the task.
>One of our students who graduated last year told me as he was walking
>out the door that the feed was up and running on one of our computers in
>our lab, but that was it and I can't figure out what he did since he
>never documented anything.  Could you help me with a few questions?

Absolutely, yes.

>We only have PC's here and a departmental server that is running a
>Windows OS.  What version of Linux would be best to use for the LDM

There are a variety of flavors of Linux in use in the Unidata community.
In-house we are using Fedora Core 1 and, just recently, RedHat Enterprise 3.

>or is there another OS (free or really cheap) that might be better?

We like FreeBSD, but it currently has a limit on the size of the LDM
queue that can be created/used.  This limitation should go away in an
upcoming release, but...  Since the fastest growing OS in the Unidata
community is Linux, I would recommend going that route.

>Does the computer have to have a fixed IP for LDM access?

Yes.  Not only that, there must be supported forward and reverse name
lookup for the machine.

>I remember
>from my last job (AFIT with Jeff Sitler) that you folks occasionally
>logged in to check on things or to help out folks.

We are willing to do this to help folks get running.  However, we want
the site representative to "take ownership" of the installation and
running of the software.

>How do I get access to the mailing list?  I tried the link on the LDM
>web site, but it said that the link wasn't valid.
>989b2a77ec6ca5e260016ba09364b99)

Use:

Our web site has been going through a lot of changes lately, so the
old link(s) may not work.

>Thanks for your help.  I promise to try and avoid being a pest!

Never worry about asking questions!

>Gary Huffines, PhD
>Assistant Professor of Meteorology
>University of Northern Colorado
>Department of Earth Sciences
>Campus Box 100
>501 20th Street
>Greeley, CO 80639
>970-351-1071 (voice)
>970-351-1269 (fax)

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Fri Jul  9 12:48:26 2004

Tom,

Thanks for the help!  I will work on getting our computer set up with
the Linux OS and the forward and reverse name lookup.  In the mean time,
I will also look through the posts on the mailing lists.

While I don't want you to have to hold my hand after we get up and
running with the LDM, it is nice to know that you are there if I need
you for the initial setup.  As I said before, I'll try not to be a huge
pest.

Thanks again!

Gary