20040625: redundant IDD requests, pqact file descriptor limits

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

Hi Harry,

re: feed marzipan from freshair

>Ask and it shall be given unto you!

Many thanks, oh venerable one ;-)

>freshair is the aforementioned new ldm
>server - which will eventually replace our other ldm server(s).   Since it is
>currently quite stable, I changed marzipan to feed from freshair.

OK.  We use emo.unidata.ucar.edu to feed sites wanting to test out new
machines before putting them into full time duty.  emo is setup to
feed you whatever you want, and this brings up a second observation
about IDD feeds, but this time on emo:

$ netstat | grep ESTAB | grep ldm | grep atmos
tcp4       0  33304  emo.ldm                freshair.atmos.w.37093 ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0  33580  emo.ldm                glacier.atmos.wa.2440  ESTABLISHED

Are either of these feeds redundant to ones on thelma?  Are they needed
for testing?

>From address@hidden  Fri Jun 25 14:10:55 2004

>P.S.  I long ago modified pqact to use 64 instead of 32 file units.

Smart man!

>Do you
>plan to eliminate the limit (which I would like to know how you will do), or
>just allow it to be specified?

Steve Emmerson said that he plans to let the number of open file
descriptors float to the maximum number for the OS the LDM is running
on.  I think he knows a way to find this number out at runtime, so it
could be dynamic.  I can get him to provide details if you want.

Thanks for the quick action on thelma.  Thanks in advance for removing
either of the feeds on emo _if_ they are not needed.