20040607: setup of bigbird and Level II data (cont.)

>From: Gerry Creager N5JXS <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry,

>Summary and announcement time...
>1.  THREDDS/OPeNDAP: Whenever it's convenient.  I'd like to "watch" so I
>can see what's going to go on behind the scenes, as we're going to be
>blending OPeNDAP and LDM in some of the SCOOP/IOOS activities soon.  I
>can expand later, offline.

OK.

>2.  McIDAS has been on my list but never quite bubbled to the top of the
>  stack.  It'd be an asset, but hasn't been important enough, 'til now,
>to acquire cycles.

OK.

>3.  There were documented problems with some of the early Intel GBE NICs
>with the 2.2 and early 2.3 kernels, both as reported by users and in a
>test out of UIowa, if I recall correctly.  I've since used several and
>seen no problems.  I've seen recent 2.4/2.5/2.6 problems associated with
>the RealTek chipsets, especially for duplex mismatch.

We had problems under Solaris x86 and FreeBSD.

>4.  Wasn't trying for a setup.  I'll try 'em tomorrow.  I'm about to
>call it a day for e-mail!  thanks.

I agree, I have done a lot of email today :-(

>I'm planning, depending on MCS and convective activity, to take bigbird
>down for NIC installation sometime this week.  Current target is Friday
>morning with a 1000-1100 CDT window, expecting less than 10 min.  I'll
>modify that depending on activity as we've several folks using some of
>the data from bigbird in chasing and some operational testing
>activities.  If we appear to have a calm day, I'll try to give at least
>4 hrs notice and do the install.

Thanks for the heads-up.  One thing though: I just noticed that bigbird
is running on one CPU:

[ldm@bigbird ~]$ uname -a
Linux bigbird.tamu.edu 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:36:05 EDT 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

This must have happened 12 days ago when you redid the RAID:

[ldm@bigbird ~]$ uptime
 19:23:03  up 12 days,  2:03,  3 users,  load average: 1.67, 1.54, 1.64

Was this intentional?  I am extremely curious to find out if its
performance will improve or worsen when it is rebooted to use the SMP
kernel.  Just a thought...

>From address@hidden  Mon Jun  7 20:36:38 2004

The 1-CPU trick was an accident.  We'll see what happens when we reboot
after the hardware install.

Gerry