20040527: problems compiling LDM on new linux box

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Hi Clint,

>I managed to feel my way properly through the install and now have a
>semi- functional ldm on the new machine (harmattan).  I say only
>semi-functional because my regular ldm machine (papagayo) won't feed
>it, but it can feed from thelma!  I'd like to feed it locally, but
>can't figure out what's not right.  Yoksas has the login for papagayo;
>harmattan's not allowing logins, but I'll change that in a minute --
>logins will be the same ...

What is happening is the IP address coming in with the feed (or
notifyme) request is being reverse looked up into 'harmattan' not
'harmattan.unl.edu'.  Since the allow line in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf is for
'harmattan.unl.edu', the connection was being denied.  The odd thing is
that an nslookup for harmattan, harmattan.unl.edu, and the IP address
for harmattan all work fine.  We have a suspicion that the reason for
the failure is somehow related to NIS+.

The solution for your problem was modifying the allow line in ldmd.conf
to:

allow   ANY-NLDN        ^(harmattan|harmattan\.unl\.edu)$

After making the change and stopping and restarting the LDM, the feed
request and notifyme from harmattan to papagayo work fine.

Have a great weekend/holiday!

>From address@hidden  Fri May 28 15:19:19 2004

Thanks Tom,

I switched from NIS+ to NIS and I'm still feeling my way around.  NIS+
automatically adds the un;.edu to the simple hostname, but apparently, NIS
does not in all situations.  I think I can add the fully qualified hostname
to the hosts database and get around that or make it check dns first.

BTW, I'm coming out to Boulder in June for the MM5/WRF meeting.  Hopefully
we'll have a chance for dinner or beer.

Thanks again and enjoy your long holiday weekend,
Clint