20040324: Unidata LDM feeds for Vietnam (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Mai,

>I've got a good news and a bad news.

I always hate emails that start like this :-)

>The good one is that we've got the DNS.

Excellent.

>But the bad news is I've got a disaster with the Linux
>machine.
>
>After i've changed the computer with the new IP with
>the DNS, i had a trouble while logging from another
>computer under username "ldm" (eventhough there was no
>problem with other users, say nawips, nor with the
>login at local machine with "ldm" username). Then I've
>tried to change different options of authentication,
>and reboot the computer.

Can you tell us exactly what you changed?  This will
help us detail the steps needed to undo the change(s).

>The outcome is that I can't
>log in to computer any more, even with root. After
>typing into the box of username and password, the
>screen flashed off and comes out in text mode with
>login prompt. But nowhere it allow me to go (incorrect
>password).
>
>Please tell me what to do.

Once we know what you changed, we can give you the
steps you need to follow to restore availability of
the machine.

>Thanks and I'm looking forward your help desperately.

At the moment, the most I can tell you is that you can
recover from this, so it is not as big a disaster as
you may think.  The basic steps will involve booting
into single user mode, and then undoing what you did
that caused the problem.

Before I send you the steps to boot into single user
mode, I want to run through them on a Linux machine
at work (I am at home right at the moment).  It will
also help speed the recovery process if we knew what
you were doing/trying to do before this problem occurred.

Don't worry, this will not be as hard as you might imagine :-)