20040317: Unidata LDM feeds for Vietnam (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Mai,

>Thank you very much for your quick helps. ( I have to
>try hard to catch up with that!).

One reason I am very interested in getting your LDM up and running is
so we can further test its abilities to move data to more remote
sites.  The "ultimate" test will come when we run an experiment to
deliver realtime data to McMurdo in Antarctica :-)

>We'll get the DNS very soon (in a day or two). But the
>IP will be changed too. I'll inform you ASAP.

There is no problem with the IP changing especially after there is full
DNS for the machine.

re: what is the format of the GOES-9 imagery, AREA?

>No, unfortunately not. It's in S-VISSR format
>(Stretched Visible and Infrared Spin Scan Radiometer).
>We also have it converted to bitmap format. So maybe
>we need some converter to McIDAS AREA format. Do you
>have any idea how we could do it?

Having a converter to AREA format would make your use of the data in
GEMPAK (or McIDAS) possible.  I will contact the folks at SSEC (the
creators of McIDAS) to see if they have a general routine that can be
used to convert the S-VISSR format files to AREA.

>Our model data are in GRIB format. We can make it into
>binary readable for GRADS too. But I guess GEMPAK is a
>different so we still need some converter.

The Unidata distribution of GEMPAK comes with a full set of
LDM-compatible decoders.  That is why I asked you if you had loaded the
Unidata version of GEMPAK, or if you were using a distribution from
somewhere else.  If you are using a different distribution, I would
like to convince you to use the Unidata distribution mainly so we could
provide you some support.  For reference, Unidata GEMPAK is a superset
of the NOAA/NCEP distribution.  All of the functionality and more is in
our release.

>Sorry for my server. I was home yesterday and someone
>has switched it off by mistake. It should be working
>now.

No worries.  Until DNS is fully functional we won't make much progress
anyway.

>Thank you a lot Tom, and I'm looking forward to your
>good news about the converters.

The good news about GRIB conversion will occur automatically if you are
using the Unidata release of GEMPAK.  I will check into the
availability of a routine that can convert the S-VISSR GOES-9 images
into AREA format.