20040315: Problems compiling LDM under Solaris 9.

Marek,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Marek Kmiecik <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re:Problems with compiling ldm source

> Can somebody give me a hand with this?
> Trying to compile ldm source, from file ldm.tar.Z, ver ldm-6.0.14,
> after uncompressing and unarchiving, that you posted at:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmSourceInstallList.html

First off, please use the installation instructions at

    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/index.html

rather than any instructions at "www.unidata..." because the latter
instructions are quite out-of-date (I'm going to remove them).

> I came accross this fatal error, when running "make instal",
> (following your general instructions):
> Making `install' in directory /home/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src/ulog
>
> `/home/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/include/ulog.h' is up to date.
> cc -o hupsyslog -O -DNDEBUG  -I../config hupsyslog.c ../libldm.a
> -R/usr/ucblib
> -L/usr/ucblib -lrpcsoc -lnsl -lsoc
> ld: fatal: file ../libldm.a: open failed: No such file or directory
> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to hupsyslog
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `hupsyslog'
> Current working directory /home/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src/ulog
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `installed_programs'
> Current working directory /home/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src/ulog
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subdir_target'
> Current working directory /home/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ulog/install'
>
> What should I do know with this missing library libldm.a,
> which shouldn't be expected at the first place, in source?
> Or am I missing something? I have solaris9.0 running on sunblade 100.
> I appreciate any feedback.

You should be able to build the LDM package on your platform.  My
workstation is a SunBlade 1000 running SunOS 5.8 and I build the LDM on
it all the time.

I suggest that you go to the top-level source directory and exeucute the
command "make distclean".  Then, follow the installation instructions in
the prevously-mentioned URL.

Please keep me apprised.

>                      -Marek Kmiecik

> | MAREK KMIECIK                                                  |
> | Scientific Programmer                                    |
> | State University of New York at Albany ASRC-CESTM        |
> | 251 Fuller Rd.                                         |
> | Albany, NY 12203                                       |
> | address@hidden                         |
> | Tel: o(518)437-8719  h(518)869-4617  Fax: (518)437-8758  |
> | http://lunch.asrc.cestm.albany.edu/~marek              |

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
LDM Developer