20031015: LDM 6.0.14 connection to portmap on RedHat 9

Carl,

> To: address@hidden
> cc: Scott Hill <address@hidden>,
> cc: Rita Edwards <address@hidden>
> From: Carl Sinclair <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM 6.0.14 on RedHat 9

> We have run across an issue that we believe could be causing a problem.
> When running 6.0.14 on RedHat 7.2, LDM connects to Portmap via UDP.
> When testing a problem site with 6.0.14 on RedHat 9, LDM connects to
> Portmap via TCP.  Is there a way to make sure we continue to use UDP?

I'll need more information.

The LDM attempts to connect to the local portmapper:

    Explicitly using a clnttcp_create() system call and the portmapper's
    well-known port number in order to determine whether or not a local
    portmapper is running.

    Explicitly, using the pmap_set() and pmap_unset() system calls in
    order to register and deregister its service with the portmapper,
    respectively.

    Implicitly using a clnttcp_create() system call to port number zero
    in order to determine if another LDM is already running when the
    same call using port number 388 failed.

The LDM also attempts to connect to the remote portmapper on an upstream
host to determine the port number of the remote LDM if it can't connect
to the remote LDM using port 388.

Which one of these is the problem and why?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson