20031007: LDM and waldo at stc (cont.)

>From: "Anderson, Alan C. " <address@hidden>

Alan,

>Thanks;

No worries.

>I talked with our network control person and he is
>checking it out.

Good.  I talked with Mike Schmidt as soon as I got in to see if there
was a good way to ascertain if the problem is on your side or at
papagayo.  The only good way is to be able to get onto waldo and
do things like traceroute, and ldmping to other hosts.

>I am puzzled by seeing the lightning data
>from striker be able to  come in, but not allowing access from
>papagayo at unl.  Evidently these restrictions can be specific
>to a single host.

Firewalls are semi-infinitely configurable.  With tighter and tighter
controls being implemented on campuses, we are seeing more and more
problems like the one you are reporting.  The typical cause is
application of a new firewall rule that does not allow for bidrectional
data flow through port 388.  Since you are getting data via the LDM
from SUNY Albany, St. Cloud does not have this port locked down
completely.  This does not mean, however, that papagayo is not locked
out somehow.

Something you can try in the meantime is changing your data requests
from papagayo to emo.unidata.ucar.edu.  We _know_ that this machine is
open and has allows from waldo.

>I will also check on why you do not have access via ssh and get
>back to you

I just tried again, and get nowhere with either ssh or telnet.

Tom