Re: LDM setting

> Youngsun Jung wrote:
>
> Hi Anne,
> How are you doing?
> I have installed LDM on one of our system followed by the instruction on the
> web from the source.
> Could you help me how th setup LDM for "data source system"?
> How does LDM know that new file is available for tranfer?
> Does that system need any special settup to scan disk?
> If you will include this in the manual you are writing,
> you don't need to answer me right away.
> I will wait. ^^*
> Have a nice day.
>
> Youngsun

Hi Youngsun,

I'm so glad to hear you got it installed!  Congratulations!  Did you have any
difficulties?  As a test, I could try to relay some data to you from here if
your firewall will allow us through.  Or, you could install it on another
system so that you could
test your own data relay.

(By the way, I would guess that probably all of our sites have firewalls while
also receiving and transmiting data, so experience has shown that it can be
done safely.)

There are two basic ways to input data into the system.  The one you're
probably looking for is pqinsert - take a look at the man page for it.  It will
insert a file into the product queue.  We don't distribute any sort of disk
scanning script to detect
new files, but many of our users have written their own, and I believe I have
one around somewhere that you could work from - let me know if you would like
to have it.

The second method for data ingest is pqing.  It parses a stream of data that
comes in over our NWS satellite relay.  Because it is tailored for that
particular stream, I doubt that it would be useful to you as it is written.
However, it might serve as
model for something you could write yourself to parse streaming data.

We do provide support, so if you have problems getting an ingest system working
someone here would be available for help.

I would not say I'm writing a "manual" per se.  I think it might better be
called a "technical description".  However, since you've already installed the
software, you might benefit from reading the Site Manager's Guide, a detailed
description of the
software.  An older version is available from the web site.  It is currently
being rewritten - the rewrite should be complete in about a month.  But, the
basic material is pretty much the same and I think it would give you very good
idea of how the LDM
works and how to configure it.

I'm facing multiple deadlines at the moment.  I fear the technical description
I promised to write for you this week may slip.  I still want to do that, not
just for you but because we need such a mid-level description.  But, please be
aware that it may
be delayed.  In the meantime, I am available to answer any questions you may
have.

Sincerely,

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307