20030819: ldm-6.0.14 compiler errors: missing ssize_t definition

Fred,

>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:25:39 -0600
>From: "Kopp, Fred" <address@hidden>
>To: "'Steve Emmerson'" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20030819: ldm-6.0.14 compiler errors: missing ssize_t definition

> I think the problem is that your ldmconfig.h is incompatible with
> stdio.h - both define an ssize_t

Hmm...  The output from the configure script (file "configure.log") did
indicate that your compilation environment doesn't define the "ssize_t"
datatype by default:

    checking for ssize_t... no

This is why "ssize_t" gets defined in file "config/ldmconfig.h".

If you don't mind trying a little experiment, we might be able to figure
out why this is so.

    1.  Edit the configure script.  Search for "checking for ssize_t"
        and change the following

            rm -f conftest*

            fi
            echo "$ac_t""$ac_cv_type_ssize_t" 1>&6
            if test $ac_cv_type_ssize_t = no; then
              cat >> confdefs.h <<\EOF
            #define ssize_t int
            EOF

            fi

            # rm -f conftest*           # commented-out

            fi
            echo "$ac_t""$ac_cv_type_ssize_t" 1>&6
            if test $ac_cv_type_ssize_t = no; then
              cat >> confdefs.h <<\EOF
            #define ssize_t int
            EOF

            fi
            exit                        # exit here

    2.  Remove the file "config.cache".

    3.  Run the configure script.  It should print

            checking for ssize_t... no

        and exit at the added "exit" above.

The file "conftest.c" can then be compiled manually and used to
determine why the configure script thinks your comilation environment
doesn't define "ssize_t".

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
LDM Developer