20030616: did something change at ULM? (cont.)

Adam,

>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:07:00 -0500
>From: address@hidden
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20030616: did something change at ULM? (cont.)

> ...  Well, with the OS,
> i have reinstalled it quite a few time thinking that that was the
> problem.

There is some monitoring software that can be installed in the kernel to
keep tabs on the CPU temperature.  Do you know about it?

One correction to this CPU temperature increase: not only have we seen
the increase here, but we've also seen it shut-down the machine.

The reason we're mentioning all this hardware stuff is because we think
that your freeze-up problem is hardware-related.  We can't conceive of
how the LDM could be responsible.

Do you have another machine that could replace Tornado?

We've changed your upstream LDM for the HDS data feed from
Seistan.srcc.lsu.edu to Rainbow.al.noaa.gov.  This has caused the HDS
latencies to drop close to zero.  You can see the improvement at

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?HDS+tornado.geos.ulm.edu

We also discontinued the use of the "ldmfail" utility by the LDM user's
crontab(1) because it's no longer necessary and can mess things up.
(Along those lines, the LDM user's email box is full of "ldmfail"
messages.  You should probably clean it out.)

So, aside from your system locking-up, you seem to be in pretty good
shape.  :-)

Regards,
Steve Emmerson