20030613: LDM6.0.13 Binary for SunOs 5.7

Robert,

>Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:45:45 -0500
>From: Robert Leche <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20030612: LDM6.0.13 Binary for SunOs 5.7

> 1) Looks like none of our ntp systems are working (talking to each other)
> at the moment. I am working on this. I'l let you know when this is
> resolved.<br>

OK.

> 2) The Server "Hurricane" has hardware problems and as such you will see
> it fail. Again I am work ing on it.<br>

OK.

> 3) This problably fits in the stupid question catogory, but... <br>
> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Concerning LDM's ldmd.conf
> configuration. If I have a LDM IDD system
> that is feeding down stream sites. And if in my ldmd.conf I am requesting
> data types 1,2, and 3. And one down stream users is requesting data types
> 4,5, and 6. And another down stream user is requesting 7,8, and 9. Would
> I need to request all of this as: request 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9 &nbsp;".*"&nbsp;
> idd.upstream.feeder.edu

The union of requests to upstream sites would need to encompass the
union of all the feedtypes requested from you.  Whether or not you
request all the relevant feedtypes in a single request to an upstream
LDM depends on your particular situation.  In theory, it is possible
to make a single request for all the data.  In practice, however, the
regular-expressions for the feedtypes might differ, in which case it
makes sense to separate them into distinct requests.  Also, it turns
out that multiple TCP connections usually have better performance than
a single TCP connection -- even though the same amount of data is being
transferred -- so separating the upstream requests can decrease product
latencies.  The tradeoffs are between product-latency, the number of
child LDM processes that your system can handle, and ease-of-maintenance
of the LDM configuration-file.  Because each situation is different,
there is no hard rule.

Generally, I write the configuration-file for ease-of-maintenance and
then closely monitor the LDM system's performance for problems.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson