20030612: LDM information

>From: Richard Chinman <address@hidden>

Hi Richard,

>I need to get really smart about LDM - what it does,
>how to install and operate it, how to design a
>strategy for incorporating it into an overall data
>system.
>
>I know that Unidata has put a lot of time and thinking
>into making LDM documentation available online
>(starting at unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm).  Is this
>site where you would recommend I begin the LDM
>"training" that I need?

Yes, absolutely.  You can also review training materials
for the LDM.  They are located under the various versions
that you can access from the LDM homepage.  Just so you
know, the training materials were developed for LDM-5, so
they are more-or-less out of date for LDM-6.  They will,
however, be updated as time allows.

>Also, is there a way for me to download the LDM
>documentation onto my laptop in its entirety in a
>straightforward way?

There is a compressed file of documentation available along
with the code on our FTP site:

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> your_full_email_address
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.0.13-doc.pax.Z
  quit

>I am not always going to be able
>to access the internet, like when I travel, so having
>the LDM documentation saved on the laptop will come in
>really handy.
>
>I am open to your suggestions about all this.

Try looking through the online stuff first and then check
out the file you can download.

>Thank you.
>Richard Chinman

Tom Yoksas