20030522: LDM upgrade on Plymouth State machines (cont.)

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Hi Jim,

>Thanks for the help. It looks like with the old pqing that data is
>coming in normally as before.

The way I left things was for the modified LDM-6.0.11 version of
pqing to be used.  This has the patch that copes with the new line
(NL) character possibly being between the end of one product and
beginning of the next.

>I think the problems that you see are from the original Unisys (Dan's)
>method of writing buffer files to disk on noaaport4 and then flushing
>them once an hour. Some items may have been lost in the process.

OK.

>Before I bug Dan, I want to see how the new Unisys NOAAPORT computer
>setup works. It is supposed to be a complete pass through with no
>writing to disk (unless certain products are requested to be written).
>In this case, there should be no potential stripping of characters, etc.

Sounds good.

>The current NOAAPORT systems are rather slow. In fact, the noaaport4
>machine is supposed to be used for the experimental channel data, but I
>have it redundantly reading the NWSTG channel instead. It is similar to
>my noaaport1 machine, but on this machine I only capture and flush radar
>data. When I originally tried to have noaaport1 doing everything, I
>wound up losing a lot of data, since the machine couldn't keep up with
>everything (obs, grib files, text, radar, etc.)
>
>When I get the new system set up in a few weeks, perhaps we can revisit
>pqing with the new version.

OK.

>P.S. I usually comment out the atm.geo.nsf.gov ingest lines for NNEXRAD.
>They are usually only used when we have a problem with noaaport4, which
>seldom happens--primarily when we had to move it several times during
>construction of our building. Our NOAAPORT system managed to stay up
>nearly all the time during construction.

No worries.  I think that the single request line is probably sufficient
for you to get all of the NNEXRAD data from atm, so when you uncomment
the request, I would recommend that you uncomment that one.

Did you get a chance to look at my inability to become root on cyclone?
Without this, I can't do the LDM upgrade there.

Tom