20030519: LDM not logging on Sun Solaris 5.8 (cont.)

>From: Chris Novy - Systems <address@hidden>

Chris,

re: LDM logging not working
>Have a poke and see what you see:

I got on your machine with our system administrator sitting next to me.
Using the 'logger' facility, we verified that we can send log messages
to /var/adm/messages:

logger -p mail.crit "test of logging to /var/adm/messages by ldm"

and

logger -p user.err "test of logging to /var/adm/messages by ldm"

Since the entry for local0.debug, the facility.level used for LDM logging,
is the one right after user.err in /etc/syslog.conf, I would try the
following mods to /etc/syslog.conf:

- eliminate the blank line at the bottom of the file

- change the white space between local0.debug and /usr/LDM/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
  from spaces to tabs

- move the local0.debug line to before the 'ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,' line

- send a HUP to syslogd

After doing this, try using logger:

logger -p local0.debug "test of logging to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log by ldm"

If the mods to /etc/syslog.conf worked, you should see the message
in the ldmd.log file.  Please let us know.

Also, the advice from our sysadmin is:

- at a minimum, you would do well to install patch 110945 which is the
  patch for syslog (there are 7 mods for syslog in this patch set)

- also noted that you were several revs out of date on kernel patches

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon May 19 17:03:42 2003

Success!

Thanks again!