20030516: RPC timed out and cannot contact portmapper

Jacques,

>Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:41:24 -0700
>From: "Jacques, Rodney" <address@hidden>
>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>Subject: FW: 20030516: RPC timed out and cannot contact portmapper

> Here is the reply from the command....the server
> is.....galileo.wrh.noaa.gov....sorry the slc...part of the domain
> was incorrect.....I added the replies from my machine below each command
> below.
> Rodney
> > rpcinfo -t galileo.wrh.noaa.gov 30029 5
> > rpcinfo: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: timed out
> > program 300029 version 5 is not available
> > rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> > program 300029 version 5 is available

I'm afraid that galileo.wrh.noaa.gov is incommunicado as far as the LDM
is concerned.  I see, however, that the host is on-line:

    $ ping galileo.wrh.noaa.gov
    galileo.wrh.noaa.gov is alive

and it is responding to portmapper inquiries:

   $ rpcinfo -p galileo.wrh.noaa.gov
       program vers proto   port  service
        100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
        100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
        300029    5   tcp    388  ldmd
        300029    4   tcp    388  ldmd

This situation is consistent with either of the following scenarios:

    galileo.wrh.noaa.gov isn't running an LDM -- regardless of what
    the portmapper says; or

    galileo.wrh.noaa.gov is behind a firewall that doesn't allow
    packets destined for port 388 to pass.

The way to differentiate between these scenarios is to log onto
galileo.wrh.noaa.gov and see if an LDM is running with, for example, the
following command:

    $ ps -ef | grep ldmd

[on a Linux system, an additional "-ax" option is necessary.]

If an LDM is running, then the firewall scenario is likely and the
system administrator will have to correct the situation by allowing
packets destined for port 388 to pass.

If an LDM isn't running on galileo.wrh.noaa.gov, then the portmapper on
galileo.wrh.noaa.gov will need to be told to remove the LDM entries,
e.g.,

    rpcinfo -d -T tcp 300029 4
    rpcinfo -d -T tcp 300029 5

and the LDM should then be restarted on galileo.wrh.noaa.gov.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson