Re: remote LDM 6 installation and tuneup by the UPC

Paul,

[Tom, search for "GOES 12"]

>Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:22:54 -0400
>From: Paul Ruscher <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: remote LDM 6 installation and tuneup by the UPC

> Thanks, Steve - I am almost ready for you on this, thanks!  Question -
> for you to do this, does the ldm5 have to be running on my machine?

If an LDM 5 system is running, then it means that the configuration
files (LDM, pqact) are probably OK.  If an LDM 5 system isn't running,
then the installer has to pay more attention to those file to ensure
that they're OK.

> We
> have made changes on our primary LDM machine here at FSU, and are not
> ready to do ldm6 on that machine yet.  But on my research machine, I
> want to move to 6 asap; problem is we lost our staff person recently to
> another job, and I can't get 5 back up (with GOES 12 changes) on my own
> - our sysadmin sent me the pqact.conf which was not very helpful.  If
> you are game, so am I!  I have a time window from about noon-3:30
> Eastern time tomorrow, or also on Wednesday afternoon that would work,
> for soonest opportunities when I can be near a phone/terminal.

If you give us the root password, you don't even have to be around.
Send it by phone, however (303-497-8648).

> Paul Ruscher (machine is reggie.met.fsu.edu, ldm 5 is installed and was
> running until recently, ssh access is our preferred means to access the
> machine, although you have to go through an intermediate host, huey, to
> get there); I still have to work that out.  More to come soon, I hope.
> Paul
>
> PS - I can work more to get LDM5 back up and stable if you like, before
> we proceed further with your involvement.

I wouldn't bother -- unless you want to.  While it's nice to know that
the configuration files are correct, it isn't absolutely necessary --
providing that the LDM configuration (etc/ldmd.conf) shows all the relevant
feedtypes, patterns, and hosts.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson