20030416: LDM 6.0.2 installed as SFSU (cont.)

>From: Dave Dempsey <address@hidden>

Hi Dave,

re: example of how to run ntpdate

>*> 0 * * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate timeserver > /dev/null

>This was helpful--it certainly works, and I've implemented it.

Super!  I'm glad to hear that things are working.

>Now I just have to figure out how to prevent xntp from starting up upon
>reboot, since it will prevent ntpdate from running otherwise!

I believe that you are running a Sun Solaris system?  If so, the
starting of processes is goverened by files in /etc/rcx.d (e.g., rc0.d,
rc1.d, etc.).  Files that begin with a capital S mean to start when
that section is run/enabled.  For instance, on our Solaris SPARC 5.6
system, the directy /etc/rc2.d contains the executable file S96xntpd:

% ls /etc/rc2.d/*xntpd*
/etc/rc2.d/S96xntpd*

The existence of this file with an 'S' prefix tells the startup process
to 'S'tart the daemon at boot.  Corresponding stop processes are found
in run levels "below" this level:

% ls /etc/rc*.d/K*xntpd
/etc/rc0.d/K69xntpd*  /etc/rc1.d/K69xntpd*

These files tell the OS to 'K'ill the daemon at run level 1 and again
at run level 0 on shutdown.

What you need to do is find out which run level(s) xntpd is started on
your system (should only be one run level) and rename the file.  For
instance, if you find S96xntpd in the /etc/rc2.d directory like I did
on our system, you need to rename it to something that does not begin
with an 'S'.  You could change the 'S' to a 'K' and that would work, or
you could rename it to something else that was more descriptive of your
renaming action.

Unfortunately, if you are running on an OS different from Sun Solaris,
the procedure for stopping xntpd from running is entirely different.
Please let me know what your OS is if it is different from Solaris
so I can scope out what you need to do.

Tom