[ldmMcidas #KFJ-493586]: compiling ldm-mcidas problems

Hi Steven,

First, I apologize for not being able to get to your inquiry before now...

re:
> I'm a member of the IT group for the meteorology dept and SJSU. I'm
> trying to install ldm-mcidas on a new centos 7 server and I running into
> a few problems
>
> Before I tried to compile ldm-mcidas i created a ldm user with a
> home directory of /usr/local/ldm. I compiled and installed ldm in
> /usr/local/ldm. When I tried to compile mcidas I get error messages
> during the configuration stage.

I assume you are referring to the "errors" you are seeing in the config.log
file.  Errors/warnings are expected when configure runs as it is attempting
to determine what does and doesn't work, and it creates a Makefile based
on what it determines.

re:
> uname -a = Linux localhost.localdomain 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue
> Dec 6 23:06:41 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> mcidas version 2012
> gcc, c++, g++, gfortran are located in /bin
> gcc version is 4.8.5
> The environment variables I set are:
> export CC=gcc
> export CFLAGS=-O
> export CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
> export FC=gfortran
> export FFLAGS='-O'
> export LDMHOME=/usr/local/ldm
> export LDFLAGS='-Wl,-rpath,$LDMHOME/lib'
> export CPP_LDM=-I/usr/local/ldm/include
> export LD_LDM='-L/usr/local/ldm/lib -lldm'
> export CPP_MCIDAS=-I/usr/local/ldm/ldm-mcidas/inc
> export LD_MCIDAS='-L/usr/local/ldm/ldm-mcidas/lib -lmcidas'
> export CPP_NETCDF=-I/usr/include
> export LD_NETCDF='-L/lib64 -lnetcdf'
> export LD_X11=''
> export LD_MATH=-lm

These look reasonable.

re:
> mcidas src in located in /usr/local/ldm/ldm-mcidas/src

OK.  Just to be clear, the ldm-mcidas source is located in the
directory specified.  It seems that you have not installed McIDAS
itself, but that is not a problem.

re:
> any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

The error I see when running the suite of tests is contained in the
test.log file that you sent along:

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/ldm/ldm-mcidas/src/decode'
cp route.sys.dist ROUTE.SYS
cp syskey.tab.dist SYSKEY.TAB
rm -f pngarea.test AREA0200;
./pnga2area -vl- -a SATANNOT -b SATBAND -r U3 < pngarea
Dec 16 17:05:29 pnga2area[6602] NOTE: Starting Up
libpng warning: Application built with libpng-1.2.1 but running with 1.5.13
make[2]: *** [pnga2area.test] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/ldm/ldm-mcidas/src/decode'
make[1]: *** [decode/test] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/ldm/ldm-mcidas/src'

This seems to indicate that the PNG source included with the ldm-mcidas
distribution is not being used when, for example, pnga2area is run.
This is likely due to your setting of LDFLAGS as it indicates to use
a shared libpng library:

export LDFLAGS='-Wl,-rpath,$LDMHOME/lib'

I suggest building the ldm-mcidas applications using static linking.  This
should be relatively easy:

replace:

export LDFLAGS='-Wl,-rpath,$LDMHOME/lib'
export LD_LDM='-L/usr/local/ldm/lib -lldm'

with:

export LD_FORTRAN='-static -lf2c'
export LD_LDM='/usr/local/ldm/lib/libldm.a /usr/local/ldm/lib/libxml2.a'

Comment:

I don't have a CentOS 7 environment to test my recommendations above.  Would
it be possible for me to login to your system and run some tests building
ldm-mcidas?

Ticket ID: KFJ-493586
Department: Support ldm-mcidas