[ldmMcidas #IJK-183665]: ldm-mcidas installation problem on Mac OS X

Hi again Dave,

re:
> As usual, I can't compile and install ldm-mcidas successfully out of the
> box on my Intel Mac running OS X v10.5.6 (Leopard).

I was able to logon to virga and build 'pnga2area' in the
/usr/local/unidata/ldm-mcidas/src/decode directory.  This
build was _not_ pretty as I had to:

- define the environment variable FC to point at a non-existent
  Fortran compiler (I couldn't find _any_ Fortran compiler on
  virga, but, no worries, it is not needed for 'pnga2area')

- comment out the include of 'limits.h' from a number of C source
  files in the decode subdirectory

I was able to run the ldm-mcidas test for the 'pnga2area' decoder
after mucking with the Makefile and copying two files from my
workstation here in Unidata (route.sys and syskey.tab).  Since
the tests ran without indicating errors, I will assume that
the newly built 'pnga2area' executable will work.

I copied 'pnga2area' to the ~ldm/decoders directory since I saw
that this directory is in the PATH for your 'ldm' user.

I looked for 'pnga2area' decode actions in your ~ldm/etc pattern
action file, ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf, but did not see any.  Instead
I found actions that FILE the png-compressed images in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (IDD feedtype UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS))
to disk.  I am imagining that resurrecting pattern-action file
entries is one of the things you need to do to get things working
again.  I can give you some guidance on this if you are at a loss
for how to proceed.  Please let me know.

Ticket ID: IJK-183665
Department: Support ldm-mcidas