[ldmMcidas #PVL-726977]: goes 10 imagery

Hi Waldenio,

re:
> Here we are generating the imagery from the GOES-10 in MCIDAS AREA
> format. We have 5 channels and 2 sets of images: Full disk and South
> America chopping.

Wonderful!  Is the navigation now correct?

> I am preparing the script to ingest this imagery on the LDM. I think
> that it would be better to follow the unidata standard for the product
> indentification,

I agree.

> that would be something like:
>
> pnga2area Q1 UV 141 GOES-10_IMG 0.65um 4km 20080516 1315

Yes.

> I have some doubts about what values to put in each field above.

I use the output from the ldm-mcidas package routine 'area2png' as
the product ID.

> I would need to use the pqinsert line as:
>
> /usr/local/ldm/bin/pqinsert -v -l $logs/dsa_img.log -f EXP -p $id $imagem
>
> where $id = "pnga2area Q1 UV 141 GOES-10_IMG 0.65um 4km 20080516 1315"
>
> My doubts are what means and I should put in some of the fields above:
>
> fields: "Qx", "pd", "anum", "BAND"

Here are the meanings for these fields:

Qx - this defines the quarter of the hour of the image's nominal time:

     Q1 - some sort of hourly image (once per hour, two hours, three hours,
etc.)
     Q1 - H+00 - H+15
     Q2 - H+16 - H+30
     Q3 - H+31 - H+45
     Q4 - H+46 - H+59:59

pd - this is a McIDAS routing table product code.  We should standardize on the
     product codes to use.  My first thought is:

     SV - full disk visible     (0.65 um)
     SS - full disk short IR    ( 3.9 um)
     SW - full disk water vapor ( 6.8 um)
     SI - full disk thermal IR  (10.7 um)
     SL - full disk long IR     (12.0 um)

     S1 - 15-minute visible     (0.65 um)
     S2 - 15-minute short IR    ( 3.9 um)
     S3 - 15-minute water vapor ( 6.8 um)
     S4 - 15-minute thermal IR  (10.7 um)
     S5 - 15-minute long IR     (12.0 um)

anum - default AREA number (default file name that follows AREAnnnn convention).
     This is a bit arbitrary, but it can be useful to control the number
     of images one wants to keep on disk when using the McIDAS routing
     table to control the number of images on disk.  Note that this facility
     is not used by many anymore, instead LDM users create output names
     themselves (pqact.conf actions) that do not follow the AREAnnnn naming
     convention).

     The important thing when assigning 'anum' is to make sure that the
     number does not conflict with those already in use.  Here is what
     I suggest:

     pd   description           wavelength  anum   band
     SV - full disk visible     (0.65 um)   1301   1
     SS - full disk short IR    ( 3.9 um)   1311   2
     SW - full disk water vapor ( 6.8 um)   1321   3
     SI - full disk thermal IR  (10.7 um)   1331   4
     SL - full disk long IR     (12.0 um)   1341   5

     S1 - 15-minute visible     (0.65 um)   1351   1
     S2 - 15-minute short IR    ( 3.9 um)   1361   2
     S3 - 15-minute water vapor ( 6.8 um)   1371   3
     SI - full disk thermal IR  (10.7 um)   1381   4
     S5 - 15-minute long IR     (12.0 um)   1391   5

> any other suggestion about this coding ?

> btw, how I should identify the full disk from the South-America chopping.

Full disk "chopping"?  I am not sure what you mean.  The example product codes
(pd) above will identify which images are full disk and which are the South
American sectors.

> P.S. Today I can put the imagery using other standard for the names.

Very good.

In a follow-up email I will send you the relevant portions of the scripts I
use to create the Unidata-Wisconsin (IDD feedtype UNIWISC) images.

Ticket ID: PVL-726977
Department: Support ldm-mcidas