[ldmMcidas #PUC-404507]: MD storage limits

Hi Samuel,

re:
> I am not aware of the SQL configuration changing since we build McIDAS with
> SQL support.

OK.

> I BELIEVE The only thing I changed was the bootup script that started MySQL.
> When I was trying to preserve memory/cpu cycles I also terminated the MySQL
> processes by using kill.

From looking at timestamps in /usr/local, it seems like MySQL5 was installed
near the beginning of October, 2007.  The installation in /usr/local is
a non-standard installation (i.e., I think that MySQL would be installed in
a different location if done by 'yum').

> MySQL seems to run fine,

Yes, I see that the MySQL server runs fine.

> I will keep looking into how the configuration might have changed.

OK.  In the meantime, I am able to build McIDAS _if_ I define MySQL_ROOT
AND LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~mcidas/.bash_profile as:

MySQL_ROOT=/usr/local/mysql
export MySQL_ROOT

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/local/mysql/lib

I am not sure why the link process is not using the static MySQL lib,
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a.  It is likely that g77, when used
as the linker (it runs ld) tries to use shared libraries when possible.

The need to define LD_LIBRARY_PATH has undesired ramifications: it must
be defined in the shell definition files for 'mcidas', 'ldm', and
every user that will run McIDAS from shu.  It must also be defined in
the McIDAS ADDE definition file ~mcidas/.mcenv.  From this, you can see
that having to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH causes potential problems!

>It looks
> like the usernames ldm, and mcidas don't seem to have access to the mysql
> database, so I might need to fix this.

I was able to delete and remake the MySQL database using the script gribadmin
yesterday, so I don't think that there is anything wrong with the MySQL server
setup.  The problem/"challange" is that MySQL5 is installed in a non-standard
location AND the McIDAS link process is opting to use the shared MySQL client
library in preference to the static one.

Ticket ID: PUC-404507
Department: Support ldm-mcidas