[ldmMcidas #PUC-404507]: MD storage limits

Hi Samuel,

re:
> I know what happened to MySQL. I had disabled MySQL to try to free up memory
> for general
> processing.

OK.  The better way of cutting down on the processing being done is to turn off
the
processing, not disable the MySQL server.  The reason:  the McIDAS-XCD GRIB
filing
process, DMBIN, was still active on your system.  It was still filing the GRIB
messages
being received (probably good), but each write attempt to the MySQL database
was failing
(bad since this used CPU cycles that you were trying to conserve).

> Since our data ingesting has stabilized, I have enabled our MySQL database
> again.

Very good.

> I have, however executed the following:
>
> <as 'mcidas'>
> cd $MCDATA
> decinfo.k SET DMBIN INACTIVE

OK.  This is the sequence that turns off GRIB filing.

> Now, is there a way to re-enable DMBIN,

Yes, by using ACTIVE specification for DMBIN in the decinfo.k invocation:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
decinfo.k SET DMBIN ACTIVE

This will work _if_:

- the MySQL server is running
- the MySQL database for the McIDAS GRIB products exists, is viable (not
  corrupt, etc.), and is writable by the user running the LDM ('ldm')

> and verify it works?

Yes.  Do the following:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
decinfo.k SET DMBIN ACTIVE
gribadmin num                 <- repeat this every couple of minutes

GRIB filing and database updates will be seen to be working if the 'num' of GRIB
products listed in the 'gribadmin num' invocation increases as GRIB data is
received.

Ticket ID: PUC-404507
Department: Support ldm-mcidas