[ldmMcidas #PUC-404507]: MD storage limits

Hi Samuel,

re:
> O.K. What about BUFR, GRIB, CONDUIT, HDS, IDS, DDPLUS, HRS, or NGRID (xcd
> processed)
> data? Do we need to setup archive scripts for this data also?

The contents of the IDS|DDPLUS feed (it is a single feed) is what is being
decoded
into MD files and saved in *.XCD files (in output directory).  You said you were
already addressing "archiving off" of the MD data files.  As for the TEXT data
saved into *.XCD files (and all associated *.IDX files, I don't believe that
anyone
has attempted to save these off into an archive.

As for the BUFR data files, McIDAS does not yet use them directly.

As for GRIB, CONDUIT, HRS, or NGRID, these are all model output.  Your system
was
setup to process this data using the GRIB filer approach which writes the GRIB
messages
to disk and updates a MySQL database.  I just logged onto shu and notice that
the
access to the MySQL database interface is not working:

-bash-2.05b$ gribadmin num
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)
  Model Number   % of
  Name  of Grids Total
  ===== ======== =====
  ----- -------- -----
  Total

I would guess that some operating system upgrade (e.g., 'yum update' as 'root')
did something
to the MySQL stuff, so it is no longer working.  This means that the MySQL
server stuff will
need to be setup again.  Until that is done, I suggest turning off the
processing of GRIB messages
by the XCD GRIB filer as follows:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
decinfo.k SET DMBIN INACTIVE

Any idea of what could have caused the MySQL server to become inaccessible?

Ticket ID: PUC-404507
Department: Support ldm-mcidas