[ldmMcidas #BLI-601127]: Problem with LDM-McIDAS man pages

Hi Samuel,

re:
> For the past several days I've been trying to access
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?proftomd+1
> This is a link from
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas-man.html
> Unfortunately, when I try to get information for the proftomd decoder, I get
> the following:
> NOTE: click here<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?proftomd> if you
> get an empty page.
> ________________________________
>
> No manual entry for 1.
> No manual entry for proftomd.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about that.  The online man pages were turned off because the CGI-bin
script that
provided the service was a known security hole.

If you have already downloaded the ldm-mcidas package, you already have the man
pages for
the decoders.  All you have to do is adjust your MANPATH to include the
installation
'man' directory in your MANPATH environment variable.

Example:

-- assume that you have downloaded and installed the ldm-mcidas package in the
   ~ldm/ldm-mcidas directory and that the runtime link has been created for
   the installation as follows:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ldm-mcidas
ln -s ldm-mcidas-2004 runtime
ln -s runtime/* .

export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/home/ldm/ldm-mcidas/man

I made the links referred to above in the ~ldm/ldm-mcidas directory on
shu.cup.edu
and updated the MANPATH definition in ~ldm/.bash_profile.  You should now be
able to get the MAN page listing for all ldm-mcidas decoders like:

<after making .bash_profile settings active>

man proftomd

Also, if you run any of the ldm-mcidas decoders with no arguments, they will
give you an abbreviated help listing.

Ticket ID: BLI-601127
Department: Support ldm-mcidas