20040520: LDM_McIDAS

>From: Celia Chen <address@hidden>

Hi Celia,

>I was asked to install the ldm-mcidas decoders package on our ldm host.
>However, it looks like I will need to have the McIDAS-X installed before
>I can install the ldm-mcidas package. Am I correct?

I think you should be able to use a binary ldm-mcidas distribution.

>Also, have you tested the package on a Linux debian system?

I have not, but at least one of our sites has.  I believe that they are
using the binary distribution for Linux.

>Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

There are two binary distributions for Linux for the currently
ldm-mcidas release available by anonymous FTP on our FTP server
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:

pub/binary/linux_2.4-i686/ldm-mcidas-2003.tar.Z
pub/binary/linux8_2.4-i686/ldm-mcidas-2003.tar.Z

The linux8_2.4-i686 distribution was build on a RedHat 8.0 system.
linux_2.4-i686 was built on RedHat 7.3.  If neither of these
distributions works correctly on your Debian box, I can help you build
a distribution that will work under Debian.  I don't think this will be
necessary, however.

>From address@hidden  Thu May 20 17:36:33 2004

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tip.  I installed the Redhead-8 version binary on my
woody machine and it seemed to work okay.  I will have Gary Cunning
check the decoded data to see if it is really working.  ;)

Thanks again.

Celia