20021027: Proftomd hanging on RedHat 8.0 (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: XCD

>Regretfully, I had to shut it off Sunday evening...dmsyn and dmraob both
>hung, causing my load average to go to 8. It was doing that since Friday,
>but I just didn't have the time to shut it off, or even send an email.
>Obviously, I do now.

I jumped onto weather2 to see if I could find out what was going on,
and see that the load average has rocket to 32.  This high load appears to
be caused by LOTS of invocations of rad, not any of the XCD decoders.
I was hoping that I could see what was causing dmsyn.k and dmraob.k to
go into tight loops, but that may not be possible given the system
use of rad.

Our system administrator was looking over my shoulder while I was running
top, and he commented that it looked like part of the cause for the
high load average on weather2 is caused by it being out of memory:

  1:18pm  up 12 days,  1:07,  2 users,  load average: 27.19, 26.65, 25.04
153 processes: 125 sleeping, 28 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 90.2% user,  9.7% system,  0.0% nice,  0.0% idle
Mem:   513760K av,  501472K used,   12288K free,       0K shrd,    1084K buff
Swap: 1044216K av,  457316K used,  586900K free                  194876K cached

At the moment I clipped this, the load average had "fallen" to 27, and
the amount of free memory was slowly increasing (at one point the free
memory was zero).

>And I hope Redhat comes out with a gcc patch soon.

Me too.

Any idea about the multiple (like > 20) invocations of rad?

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Oct 29 13:34:08 2002
>Subject: Re: 20021027: Proftomd hanging on RedHat 8.0 (cont.)

Hi Tom,

> Our system administrator was looking over my shoulder while I was running
> top, and he commented that it looked like part of the cause for the
> high load average on weather2 is caused by it being out of memory:

Yes, I had to shut down weather to check on some stuff for an hour. When I
did that, 20 radar mosaics came in and flooded weather2. It should be
clear now, sorry about that. Try it again.