20001031: keeping more than four images decoded from the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream

>From: wumeng <address@hidden>

Meng Wum,

I am sorry that I could not get to your email before today.  We have been
in the middle of workshops for the past two weeks, so we have not had
much spare time.

The following was forwarded to me by McIDAS User Support at SSEC:

>> dear sir,
>>    I am a graduate student in University
>> of Kansas. We receive the unidata every day.
>> We use the AREA data. From your old document,
>> I know there are only four files(AREA0120-AREA0123)
>> for GOES EAST visible data. Do I still
>> just save these four files for GOES EAST DATA?
>>     Thank you very much!

The default for the imagery in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream is
to save 4 of each type of image except the Manually Digitized Radar
product for which 6 are kept.  You can, however, tailor your ingestion
to keep as many or as few images of each type by use of the McIDAS
file routing table, ROUTE.SYS.

ROUTE.SYS is both distributed with Unidata McIDAS-X and with Unidata
ldm-mcidas.  ROUTE.SYS as distributed is configured to save 10 of each
kind of image in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  ROUTE.SYS will be
used by the ldm-mcidas decoder, pnga2area IF it and SYSKEY.TAB (also
included in both Unidata McIDAS-X and Unidata ldm-mcidas) are:

o copied to the directory into which AREA files are decoded
o is readable AND writable by the user running the LDM

More information on use of the routing table's use in ldm-mcidas image
decoding can be found by searching the online ldm-mcidas help at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas.html

and you can also search the Unidata ldm-mcidas email inquiry system
at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghldm-mcidas.html

Use the keys ROUTE.SYS, Unidata-Wisconsin, or routing as the search
keys to the email inquiry system.

Tom Yoksas