20001020: GOES-East/West compositing from UW stream imagery (cont.)

>From: Michael Sands <address@hidden>

Michael,

I logged onto catwoman as 'mcidas' and verified the read/write permissions
on /mcidasdata/mcidas and on /mcidasdata/mcidas/ROUTE.SYS and
/mcidasdata/mcidas/SYSKEY.TAB.  Like you reported previously, everything
looks fine.

I then did the following:

cd ~mcidas/workdata
route.k LIST

Looking throught the route listing, verified our earlier exchnages:
product codes CI, CV, and CW were suspended.  I also saw that a couple
of archaic products were not SUSpended, so I tried suspending them:

route.k SUS UM US
S Pd         Description         Range       Last      Received  Post Process C
- -- ------------------------- --------- ------------ ---------- ------------ -
s UM Administrative Message     default      none        none        none     1
s US Undecoded SAO Data         default      none        none        none     1
route.k: Done

I then verfied that the listing was not bogus:

route.k LIST UM US
S Pd         Description         Range       Last      Received  Post Process C
- -- ------------------------- --------- ------------ ---------- ------------ -
s UM Administrative Message     default      none        none        none     1
s US Undecoded SAO Data         default      none        none        none     1
route.k: Done

Seeing as how this worked, I went ahead and RELeased CI, CV, and CW:

route.k REL CI CV CW
S Pd         Description         Range       Last      Received  Post Process C
- -- ------------------------- --------- ------------ ---------- ------------ -
  CI GOES-E/W IR Composite       80-89       none        none        none     3
  CV GOES-E/W VIS Composite      90-99       none        none        none     3
  CW GOES-E/W H2O Composite      70-79       none        none        none     3
route.k: Done

I then verified that this worked:

route.k LIST CI CV CW
S Pd         Description         Range       Last      Received  Post Process C
- -- ------------------------- --------- ------------ ---------- ------------ -
  CI GOES-E/W IR Composite       80-89       none        none        none     3
  CV GOES-E/W VIS Composite      90-99       none        none        none     3
  CW GOES-E/W H2O Composite      70-79       none        none        none     3
route.k: Done

Something else must have been going on when you tried this from a McIDAS-X
session run as the user 'mcidas'.  Now, all we have to do is wait until
images are received to make sure that the compositing is working.

The other thing I noticed was that you are not creating the topography
composites (product codes N1-N8).  Is this by design?  If not, those
products must be released in the routing table also:

cd ~mcidas/workdata
route.k REL N

OK, after a few minutes of waiting, I saw a composite image created:

route.k LIST C
S Pd         Description         Range       Last      Received  Post Process C
- -- ------------------------- --------- ------------ ---------- ------------ -
  CA Cloud Top Pressure        1100-1109 AREA1104     00294 1815 CTP.BAT      3
  CB Precipitable Water        1110-1119 AREA1111     00294 1730 PW.BAT       3
  CC Sea Sfc. Temperature      1120-1129 AREA1126     00294 1633 SST.BAT      3
  CD Lifted Index              1130-1139 AREA1132     00294 1732 LI.BAT       3
  CE CAPE                      1140-1149 AREA1141     00294 1747 CAPE.BAT     3
  CF Ozone                     1150-1159 AREA1151     00294 1648 OZONE.BAT    3
  CI GOES-E/W IR Composite       80-89   AREA0080     00294 1837     none     3
  CV GOES-E/W VIS Composite      90-99       none        none        none     3
  CW GOES-E/W H2O Composite      70-79   AREA0070     00294 1835     none     3
route.k: Done

While waiting, I noticed that the bug fix level of your McIDAS installation
is at 7.605.  The current bug fix level is 7.613, and I will be updating
this to 7.614 either today or this weekend.  You will want to update your
distribution.  One of the fixes allows LA to list out information from
images correctly.  Here is how the version on your system is working
right now:

la.k 70
  area  ss  yyddd hhmmss  lcor  ecor lr er zr  lsiz  esiz z    bands
  ---- ---- ----- ------ ----- ----- -- -- -- ----- ----- -    -----
    70  70  ***** 171500   103    93  4  4  1   592  1204 1 ..3.............
Done

The newer version of LA (the Y2K patch) will list this out as:

la.k 70
  area  ss  yyyddd hhmmss  lcor  ecor lr er zr  lsiz  esiz z    bands
  ---- ---- ------ ------ ----- ----- -- -- -- ----- ----- -    -----
    70  70  100294 171500   103    93  4  4  1   592  1204 1 ..3.............
Done

Since I had 'ldm' login, I decided to take a look at your ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf
file.  I found a problem that you were most likely not aware of:

MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q. (..) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
#       pnga2area -d /mcidasdata/mcidas -r \1,\2
        pnga2area -v
        -a /users/ldm/etc/SATANNOT
        -b /users/ldm/etc/SATBAND
        -d /mcidasdata/mcidas -r \1,\2

pqact.conf entries should not have comments in them.  I recommend
that you change this entry to:

MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q. (..) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        pnga2area -v
        -a /users/ldm/etc/SATANNOT
        -b /users/ldm/etc/SATBAND
        -d /mcidasdata/mcidas -r \1,\2

(i.e., delete the comment line).

After making any change to pqact.conf, you should check the integrity
of the file and, when there are no problems, send a HUP to pqact:

ldmadmin pqactcheck
ldmadmin pqactHUP

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Oct 20 12:51:29 2000
>Subject: Re: 20001020: GOES-East/West compositing from UW stream imagery
>(cont.)

Tom,
   All the composites seem to be working. I used route.k to release the topo
composites and I changed our pqact.conf as you suggested. We're pretty busy for
the rest of the day so we'll probably end up upgrading our McIDAS next week.
Thanks again for you help.

M.Sands

#######
# Moravian College