20001005: GOES-East/West compositing from UW stream imagery

>From:  Michael Sands <address@hidden>

Michael,

A couple of weeks ago you sent the following to the ldm-users email list:

>We just finished upgrading our LDM at the college but are running into some
>problems. For the pnga2area most of the files are updated but some are not,
>specifially the ones that are AREA0070-AREA0099 (the GOES E-W composites for
>VIS, IR, H20) and AREA0220-AREA0299 (all the sat/topo composites). I was
>wondering if any of you have any ideas why this could be happening. Here is ou
>pqact.conf for pnga2area
>
>MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q. (..) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
>        PIPE    -close
>        pnga2area -d /mcidasdata/mcidas -r \1,\2
>

>Thanks in advance.

Did you get a resolution to your problem?  If not, the answer to your query
is that the compositing of imagery is a process that is done locally on
your machine.  In order for this to work, the copy of ROUTE.SYS that
you put in the directory into which you are decoding imagery must have
the compositing actions activated.  This is done through a McIDAS-X
session by:

o start a McIDAS-X session as the user 'mcidas'

  <login as 'mcidas'>
  mcidas

o definining a REDIRECTion to the copy of ROUTE.SYS in the output data
  directory:

  REDRIECT ADD ROUTE.SYS "/mcidasdata/mcidas

o verify that the REDIRECT command worked:

  DMAP ROUTE.SYS

o add a REDIRECTion for SYSKEY.TAB which should also be in the output
  data directory

  REIDRECT ADD ROUTE.SYS "/mcidasdata/mcidas

o verify that REDIRECTion

  DMAP SYSKEY.TAB

o see if compositing entries are in the copy of ROUTE.SYS that you can
  now access:

  ROUTE LIST

  The compositing entries have product codes of CI, CV, and CW.  The listing
  should look like:

   CI GOES-E/W IR Composite       80-89   AREA0086     00293 1936     none     3
   CV GOES-E/W VIS Composite      90-99   AREA0097     00293 1937     none     3
   CW GOES-E/W H2O Composite      70-79   AREA0074     00293 1936     none     3

  If the first column of the listing starts with an 's', then the entry
  is SUSpended, and you need to RELease (unSUSpend) it:

  ROUTE REL CI CV CW

While you are at it, you should also make sure that your routing table
has entries for the CIMSS products that were added to the Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream back in June.  Those entries will look like:

  CA Cloud Top Pressure        1100-1109 AREA1104     00293 1915 CTP.BAT      3
  CB Precipitable Water        1110-1119 AREA1110     00293 1946 PW.BAT       3
  CC Sea Sfc. Temperature      1120-1129 AREA1122     00293 1835 SST.BAT      3
  CD Lifted Index              1130-1139 AREA1134     00293 1948 LI.BAT       3
  CE CAPE                      1140-1149 AREA1143     00293 2004 CAPE.BAT     3
  CF Ozone                     1150-1159 AREA1158     00293 2005 OZONE.BAT    3

If you do not have entries htat look like these (never mind the AREA file
numbers and dates/times), then you need to do the following:

cd ~mcidas/workdata
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  anonymous
  your_email_address
  cd pub/mcidas
  get CIMSS.BAT
  quit

<start a McIDAS-X session as 'mcidas' again>
BATCH CIMSS.BAT

After doing this, your routing table should look similar to the listing
above.

The second part of getting the compositing working on your machine is to
make sure that you have configured the 'batch.k' shell script sent out
with ldm-mcidas to match your McIDAS-X installation.  This is done
most easily by:

o creating a ~ldm/decoders directory as the user 'ldm' (assuming that
  'ldm' is the user acccount in which you installed the LDM)

o make a decoders directory:

  cd ~ldm
  mkdir decoders

o add ~ldm/decoders to the PATH of user 'ldm'.  Do this in 'ldm's
  shell environment definition file, .cshrc (for C shell) and
  make the new PATH active:

  source .cshrc

o copy the version of 'batch.k' from the ldm-mcidas bin directory
  (binary distribution; it is in the src/decode directory in the
  source distribution) to ~ldm/decoders.  Also copy all of the other
  ldm-mcidas decoder binaries to this same directory

o edit ~ldm/decoders/batch.k and set MCHOME, MCDATA, MCGUI, MCLOG,
  PATH, and potentially LD_LIBRARY_PATH to match your McIDAS-X and
  system setup

o make sure that ~ldm/decoders/batch.k is set to be executable

  chmod +x batch.k

After doing the above, compositing of the GOES-East and GOES-West images
should proceed.

I am sorry that I did not have the opportunity to respond, but I have
been on travel.