20000910: ldm-mcidas-7.6.4 installed on met-05

>From: Robert Ballentine <address@hidden>

Bob,

I built McIDAS-X 7.613 on met-05 this morning (sorry I couldn't get to
it last night).  I then built ldm-mcidas 7.6.4 under the 'ldm' account
and configured your LDM to request only PNG compressed imagery from
your upstream site (change in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf) and decode only
PNG compressed imagery (~ldm/etc/pqact.conf).

In doing the above, I made some changes which I need to make sure do
not impact your operation:

o I installed the f2c stuff (executable, include file and libraries)
  from a RedHat 5.2 Linux rpm that I left in ~mcidas.  I then
  created /usr/local/lib and linked /usr/lib/libf2c.a to it.
  I then defined LD_LIBRARY_PATH for 'mcidas' to be:

  setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib:/usr/lib

  I also linked /usr/include/f2c.h to /usr/local/include.

  These were done for the McIDAS-X build.

o I created the directory ~ldm/util and added it to 'ldm's PATH
  defined in ~ldm/.cshrc

o next, I installed the ldm-mcidas decoders in ~ldm/util

o I installed the support files needed for pnga2area in ~ldm/etc.  These
  files are SATANNOT and SATBAND.  Sites with active McIDAS installations
  under /home/mcidas do not need these files installed in an LDM directory.
  Since there is the chance that you will want McIDAS removed from
  your system, I went ahead and installed the files in the ~ldm
  hierarchy.

o I edited ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf and changed the MCIDAS request line to

  request MCIDAS "^pnga2area Q." snow.cit.cornell.edu

  This will cut down the volume of image data being sent to met-05
  (at least until Friday at 18 Z when I will shut off the delta-encoded
  images).

  After the edit to ldmd.conf, I sourced ~ldm.cshrc (to make the new
  PATH setting active), and stopped and restarted your LDM.

o I edited ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf and:

  o commented out the lwtoa3 decoding of delta-encoded imagery

  o uncommented the first pnga2area decoder entry and configured it
    to run on your system:

MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q. (..) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        /apps/ldm/util/pnga2area
        -a /apps/ldm/etc/SATANNOT -b /apps/ldm/etc/SATBAND
        -d data/mcidas -vl data/gempak/logs/lwtoa3.log -r \1,\2

  This entry will also enable the decoding of the CIMSS images that
  were added to the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream at the end of June.

  By the way, your 'lwtoa3' entry looked like it had a mistake in it.
  It looks like you were trying to tell the decoder to log ingest in
  the file data/gempak/logs/lwtao3.log, but the entry specified the
  '-d' flag for this instead of the '-l' flag.  This is why the
  'lwtoa3' decoding output was always going to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.

  Since the entry I put in does correctly specify the '-l' flag, you
  will now need to worry about rotating the ~ldm/logs/lwtoa3.log
  file(s).

  One last comment.  The new PNG decoder, pnga2area, can write
  the image files to a hierarchial directory structure that is
  needed by GEMPAK/GARP/NMAP.  You could switch your pqact.conf
  entry for pnga2area to a set of entries so that you could stop
  running links on the images for GEMPAK/GARP/NMAP use.

o I noticed that you were only keeping 4 of each kind of image in
  the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (6 for MDR images).  This was
  due to the lack of the McIDAS routing table in the output image
  directory, /apps/ldm/data/mcidas.  The pqact.conf entry for pnga2area
  requires that the ROUTE.SYS file exist (and be readable/writable)
  in the output directory, so I:

  o copied ~mcidas/workdata/ROUTE.SYS /apps/ldm/data/mcidas
    copied ~mcidas/data/SYSKEY.TAB /apps/ldm/data/mcidas

  o changed the read/write permissions on /apps/ldm/data/mcidas so that
    all users in the metdata group could write to the directory.  I
    did this so the user 'mcidas' could modify ROUTE.SYS and SYSKEY.TAB
    that now exist in the directory.

  The effect of copying ROUTE.SYS to /apps/ldm/data/mcidas will be that
  you will now be keeping 10 each of the images in the Unidata-Wisconsin
  datastream (this is set by entries in ROUTE.SYS).  If this is NOT
  OK, please let me know.

Until I copied ROUTE.SYS and SYSKEY.TAB to /apps/ldm/data/mcidas, no
PNG compressed images were being decoded; sorry for not noticing this
for a couple of hours!).  I just verified that the PNG compressed images
are now being decoded:

cd ~ldm/data/cmidas
ls -alt ~/data/mcidas
total 50783
drwxrwxr-x   2 ldm      metdat       1024 Sep 11 14:20 .
-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      metdat      15616 Sep 11 14:20 ROUTE.SYS
-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      metdat      24000 Sep 11 14:20 SYSKEY.TAB
-rw-r--r--   1 ldm      metdat     309200 Sep 11 14:20 AREA1100
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ldm      metdat     308528 Sep 11 14:15 AREA0190
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ldm      metdat     225088 Sep 11 14:11 AREA0200
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ldm      metdat    2439056 Sep 11 11:25 AREA0120
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ldm      metdat    2439056 Sep 11 11:24 AREA0130
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ldm      metdat     613456 Sep 11 11:23 AREA0171
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ldm      metdat     225088 Sep 11 11:11 AREA0203
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ldm      metdat    2422256 Sep 11 10:45 AREA0143
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ldm      metdat     607856 Sep 11 10:44 AREA0213

The 12 and 13 Z images were missed before I noticed the need to copy
ROUTE.SYS and SYSKEY.TAB to the output data directory.  Everything
should work smoothly now.  The file AREA1100 is one of the new CIMSS
images; there are 5 of these images (Cloud Top Pressure, Lifted Index,
Precipitable Water, Sea Surface Temperature, and Ozone).

Things left to possibly be done:

o clean out the McIDAS installation that I did; this is your call, but
  if I do wipe it out, I will want to leave the libraries and include
  files so that subsequent ldm-mcidas builds can be done more easily.

o remove the ldm-mcidas-7.6.4 tree under ~ldm.  Since the ldm-mcidas
  decoders were copied to ~ldm/util, this can be done with no adverse
  consequences.

o remove the /apps/ldm-mcidas tree.  Given the change I made above (putting
  ldm-mcidas decoders in ~ldm/util), this is really not needed anymore.

There may be some other mopping up chores, but they are probably minor.

Please let me know if the setup as it now stands does not work for you,
or if you have any problems.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Sep 11 22:18:50 2000
>Subject: ldm-mcidas

Tom:
   Thanks a LOT for all the work you did in getting mcidas-X and ldm-mcidas
up and running on met-05.  We are VERY glad to be getting the satellite data
decoded using pnga2area.  I've modified my pqact.conf to allow storing the
decoded output files in the GARP hierarchical directory structure and it
seems to be working great so far.
   If I get some time later this week, I'm hoping to re-learn how to use
mcidas-X.  Therefore, I would like to leave the McIDAS installation on at
least for a while.
   I think I should be able to remove the ldm-mcidas-7.6.4 tree. I may tar it
and copy it to a safe place just in case. Ditto for the /apps/ldm-mcidas tree.
   Thanks again Tom.  You've been a tremendous help.
   Bob