20000907: LDM web site and ldm-mcidas upgrade

>From: "Frank Colby" <address@hidden>

Frank,

>Thanks for getting back to me about the web page problems -- these
>disappeared the next day, so it's no wonder you couldn't reproduce them.

Glad to hear that you were eventually able to get to our site.

>As for the Mcidas images, we aren't using them, and I didn't realize we
>were requesting them.  We don't have any request lines in our ldmd.conf
>for mcidas data, but maybe our request for the date type UNIDATA is also
>requesting mcidas stuff?

Yes.  'UNIDATA' stands for the combination of DDPLUS, IDS, PPS, HRS
and MCIDAS.  It is equivalent to WMO|MCIDAS also.

>I had considered getting some mcidas imagery,
>as we have recently stepped up our use of the idd feed, switching away
>from pcgridds to garp to look at model data, for example.

GEMPAK/GARP/NMAP can display the images in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.
I think you would benefit from incorporating these images in your GARP
analyses.

>However, it
>looked to me that the new mcidas software was only set up for solaris
>2.7 or 2.8 -- we are still running 2.6 on our pentium idd machine.

The ldm-mcidas decoders, while being linked against the McIDAS library
for some routines, is a standalone package.  As far as being able to
work on Solaris x86 2.6, it should, but we don't have a 2.6 machine on
which to build a binary distribution.  I am not sure if the 2.7 binaries
will work on your 2.6 machine, but it is worth giving it a shot.

>As I
>am the sysadmin as well as a professor here, I have been reluctant to
>upgrade solaris -- unnecessary caution perhaps.

I understand completely.  Upgrades always turn up things you have to deal
with, but upgrading is the only way you can move away from existing OS
bugs.

>Am I right that the new
>mcidas software may not run correctly on our older os?

I can pretty much guarantee that if one can build the ldm-mcidas binaries
for x86 2.6, they will run correctly.  The problem might be that McIDAS
would have to be built up to the point of having its library available
before you would be able to link ldm-mcidas executables.  I think that a
quick test to see if the 2.7 binaries will function on your 2.6 system
is worth the half hour that it should take, however.  If this doesn't
work, I can help you with the build on your system if you like.  Again,
I think that you would benefit from being able to display the imagery
in GEMPAK/GARP/NMAP.

Tom