19990106: ldm-mcidas decoders

>From: "James D. Marco" <address@hidden>

Jim,

Previously you wrote Robb:

>       OK. Thanks!  I have another question or two.  I am attempting to
>install McIDAS-X on our machines.  This is installed OK.  But, it
>apparently requires a support set of decoders(?): ldm-mcidas.

The ldm-mcidas decoders are routines that convert products in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream into McIDAS-compatible files.  The ldm-mcidas
package is available in both source and binary forms by anonymous
FTP from our FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:

source:  pub/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas.tar.Z
binary:  pub/binary/<platform>/ldm-mcidas.tar.Z

The WWW homepage for ldm-mcidas is accessible through the McIDAS-X
homepage:

McIDAS-X
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx
  <Click on the ldm-mcidas link in the left hand frame>

or directly at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas.html

>While
>attempting to set this up, I seem to have gotten off the track.  The web
>pages keep referring back to the ldm rather than the ldm-mcidas.

Which web pages?  ldm-mcidas is NOT part of the LDM, but, rather, is
a standalone package of decoders for the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.

>ldm is
>currently set up and downloading stuff from our distribution site OK.
>Where does the ldm-mcidas stuff go?

You need to build and install the ldm-mcidas package so that the decoders
can be found by the user running the LDM.  Actions in pqact.conf setup
the decoders to produce McIDAS-compatible files.  Please follow the
directions in the ldm-mcidas WWW homepage listed above.

>       Mcidas is set up and passes the unidata test suite OK. During the
>configuration, I need to configure 'cylinders' in lsserve.bat.  I have
>no idea what this refers to, nor how to find out. Help please!

'cylinders' refers to the set of names that McIDAS data files can
occupy.  The term 'cylinders' was used due to the circular naming
convention of McIDAS files.  For instance, one could configure
ldm-mcidas data ingestion/decoding to keep 10 each of GOES-8 IR,
GOES-10-IR, etc.  (this, by the way is the way we send out the McIDAS
file routing table, ROUTE.SYS).  The first couple of lines in
DSSERVE.BAT (a copy of which is LSSERVE.BAT) are:

DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/EDFLOATER-II AREA   60   69 "Educational Floater II
DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GEW-WV       AREA   70   79 "GOES-East/West H2O Composite

The 'cylinders' referes to the beginning and ending file numbers in the
above.  The first entry above says that the dataset
RTIMAGES/EDFLOATER-II is composed of files of type AREA which range
from AREA0060 to AREA0069, inclusive;  the next entry identifies the
dataset RTIMAGES/GEW-WV as being composed of AREA files AREA0070 -
AREA0079, inclusive; etc.

You must decide how many and the name of which kinds of data files you
want to keep on your system.  You will then use this information to set
the cylinder numbers to configure entries in LSSERVE.BAT.

How one sets up how many files to keep is discussed in the McIDAS-X
web pages under the section(s) that refer to the McIDAS file routing
system.

You can get additional information from previous exchanges with other
users by reviewing the support online database for ldm-mcidas.  Click on
the LDM-MCIDAS archives in the left hand frame on the McIDAS-X homepage
the address of which was listed previously in this email.

Let me know if this doesn't get you going.

Tom