[IDV #QTR-990374]: IDV support for WRF Hydro

> To whom it may concern,
>
> I have just completed my first WRF Hydro idealized case and was hoping to
> use IDV to look at the netcdf files. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to
> open the files.
>
> I receive the following errors:
>
> "Unable to figure out how to read the data"
>
> On the terminal some of the errors are:
>
> Couldn't decode unit attribute (-) of variable "CH": Encountered "<EOF>" at
> line 1, column 1.
> Was expecting one of:
> <UINT> ...
> <UINT> ...
> <UINT> ...
> <UINT> ...
>
> Couldn't decode unit attribute (category) of variable "IVGTYP": Unit not in
> database
> Couldn't decode unit attribute (category) of variable "ISLTYP": Unit not in
> database
>

> When I try to load it in field selector, the only thing that shows up is
> Time-.(((west_east,south_north)->(IVGTYP, ISLTYP, SKINTEMP, CANWAT,SOIK_MX
>

> ncdump provides the following:
>
> [root@sandbox Noah_LSM]# ncdump -h 2014081210.LDASOUT_DOMAIN1
> netcdf \2014081210 {
> dimensions:
> Time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
> DateStrLen = 19 ;
> west_east = 49 ;
> south_north = 35 ;
> west_east_stag = 50 ;
> south_north_stag = 36 ;
> soil_layers_stag = 4 ;
> variables:
> char Times(Time, DateStrLen) ;
> int IVGTYP(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
> IVGTYP:MemoryOrder = "XY" ;
> IVGTYP:description = "Dominant vegetation category" ;
> IVGTYP:units = "category" ;
> IVGTYP:stagger = "-" ;
> int ISLTYP(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
> ISLTYP:MemoryOrder = "XY" ;
> ISLTYP:description = "Dominant soil category" ;
> ISLTYP:units = "category" ;
> ISLTYP:stagger = "-" ;
>

> etc ...
>
> I have never had a problem with IDV before so thank you for making such a
> great product!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Emily

Hi Emily,

I did add a plugin for the WRF Hydro dataset, but still in the process of
revising the
logic as the Hydro group has not gave me their final version of output format.

As I know, there are many different output formats in the current release, I am
not
sure if your dataset is one of the format the IDV can support. So, could be
upload a sample file for me to test, I will email you the plugin if it is
working in the IDV.

> To whom it may concern,
>
> I have just completed my first WRF Hydro idealized case and was hoping to
> use IDV to look at the netcdf files. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to
> open the files.
>
> I receive the following errors:
>
> "Unable to figure out how to read the data"
>
> On the terminal some of the errors are:
>
> Couldn't decode unit attribute (-) of variable "CH": Encountered "<EOF>" at
> line 1, column 1.
> Was expecting one of:
> <UINT> ...
> <UINT> ...
> <UINT> ...
> <UINT> ...
>
> Couldn't decode unit attribute (category) of variable "IVGTYP": Unit not in
> database
> Couldn't decode unit attribute (category) of variable "ISLTYP": Unit not in
> database
>

> When I try to load it in field selector, the only thing that shows up is
> Time-.(((west_east,south_north)->(IVGTYP, ISLTYP, SKINTEMP, CANWAT,SOIK_MX
>

> ncdump provides the following:
>
> [root@sandbox Noah_LSM]# ncdump -h 2014081210.LDASOUT_DOMAIN1
> netcdf \2014081210 {
> dimensions:
> Time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
> DateStrLen = 19 ;
> west_east = 49 ;
> south_north = 35 ;
> west_east_stag = 50 ;
> south_north_stag = 36 ;
> soil_layers_stag = 4 ;
> variables:
> char Times(Time, DateStrLen) ;
> int IVGTYP(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
> IVGTYP:MemoryOrder = "XY" ;
> IVGTYP:description = "Dominant vegetation category" ;
> IVGTYP:units = "category" ;
> IVGTYP:stagger = "-" ;
> int ISLTYP(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
> ISLTYP:MemoryOrder = "XY" ;
> ISLTYP:description = "Dominant soil category" ;
> ISLTYP:units = "category" ;
> ISLTYP:stagger = "-" ;
>

> etc ...
>
> I have never had a problem with IDV before so thank you for making such a
> great product!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Emily

Hi Emily,

Could you upload a sample file for me to test?

http://ramadda.unidata.ucar.edu/repository/alias/idvupload

Yuan

Ticket ID: QTR-990374
Department: Support IDV