[IDV #EBQ-475363]: Accessing Archived Surface Observations

> Yuan,
>
> Thank you for your reply.  Just a couple of questions:
>
> 1.  I do need some assistance contacting SSEC  What does SSEC stand for?
>
> 2.  Can you tell me the names of the national centers you are referring to?
>
> 3.  What format do the observations have to be in for IDV to read them in?
>
> 4.  If I had these observations on disk on the same system I'm running IDV
> how would I go about displaying them?  On the Data Chooser Tab on the
> dashboard the Observation section point one to servers.  Would I need to use
> the Files option under General?
>
> Mike

Mike,

Actually, getting data from SSEC still requires the setting up the ADDE server,
so, it is not a good idea.
You can browse this site to get the gempak format surface data and load it to
the IDV. IDV can take both
gempak and netcdf format for the point surface observation. One the data
chooser General > Files select
your file and specify the data source type as: netCDF/GEMPAK point data file.
The rest should be the
same as ADDE.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/

Yuan