[IDV #CWQ-978040]: Strange Lines in IDV

Hi Dan,

re:
> I am a frequent user of IDV, but recently, some strange lines have
> invaded the background maps in IDV, and I cannot figure out what they
> are or how to get rid of them.  Please see lines in the attached image.
>
> These appear to radiate from particular locations, but I am not sure why.
> They go away when I remove 'U.S. counties outlines' from background maps
> in the Dashboard, but then I cannot see counties either.
>
> If you know how to see counties without these strange lines, I would
> greatly appreciate your help.

The appearance of "spidery lines" in map backgrounds is a well known
issue encountered by those running the IDV on machines with AMD video
cards.  Please check out the FAQ on this issue in the IDV User's Guide
either online on built-in to the IDV.

Here is how to navigate to the appropriate FAQ in the online IDV
documentation:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software -> IDV
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/

    Documentation
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/#documentation

      User's Guide
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/toc.html

      1 Overview
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/page_overview.html

        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Faq.html

          5.0 Display/Video Cards

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Faq.html#faq1_cat5_

            5.3. The maps appear as a spider web of lines. What's wrong?

Ticket ID: CWQ-978040
Department: Support IDV