[IDV #BEV-647620]: Help for 3D plots in IDV

Randy,

Please upload some sample data here:

(I cannot tell if the IDV can handle the data just by looking at the nc header,
unfortunately.)

If you have control over how the netCDF file is generated, this is definitely
possible. Ideally, the data should be CF compliant. Here is one example:

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/data/formats/netcdf/v2.0/grid.cdl

though there is a lot of information here that is not required by the IDV, even
the parts marked "REQUIRED".

and more information here:

http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/v1.6.0/cf-conventions.html

But if you are lucky, the IDV may be able to read it in as is.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Hi -
>
> I'm one of the developers for the Model Evaluation Tools project, and we
> have a tool that creates a 3D gridded dataset.  We have an in-house tool to
> view the data, but we'd like to know if other tools such as IDV can plot
> this data, as well.
>
> The data is in a netcdf file ("ncdump -h" output is attached to this
> email).  Also attached is a plot using our in-house plotting software.
> This should give you some idea what we're shooting for.
>
> Is there some way to plot this data using IDV?  We're willing to consider
> making changes to the netcdf file in order to facilitate this, if needed.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Randy Bullock

Ticket ID: BEV-647620
Department: Support IDV