[IDV #ZCS-923814]: Plotting Wave Directions

Matt,

For posterity's sake, let's recap where we are. The IDV has the ability to plot
the wave directions via the Formulas interface. However, this is a tedious
process and you would rather go via the Field Selector, Derived node just as we
do for the U and V data. This is possible but very tricky and undocumented as
far as I can tell.

First, create an alias for wave direction similar to what we did for U and V in
our previous correspondence (e.g., DIR = \\*/Primary_wave_direction_surface).

Now go to Edit -> Formulas -> Create Formula

Now see the attached formula1.png and formula2.png. Follow what is shown there
*very* carefully. If you miss even a single character, or change an upper-case
to lower-case (or vice versa) it may not work. Don't forget any check boxes
either.

To get to that second "Define Output Categories" dialog, click on the "Define
Output Categories" button in the Formula Editor Dialog.

Once you have created your formula, go to the IDV dashboard, Field Selector Tab.
Right-click on your wave data source, and "Reload Data". At that point, you
should get the result shown in wave.png (see attached)

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

Ticket ID: ZCS-923814
Department: Support IDV