[IDV #FFM-996543]: IDV plotting

> Yes those are the kind of maps I had in mind. I have plotted Abs vort adv so
> far, and originally compared it to the 1000-500 mb thickness and MSLP to
> start my research out, so I know how to plot that one. I have not tried to
> plot the Laplacian yet. I'm very new to IDV and have basically have done
> trial and error on everything I've gotten to work so far. Any help you're
> able to provide me will be very very much appreciated.
>
> Thank you
> Matt Tuftedal

Matt,

There are many grid diagnostic functions not being directly exposed to the
user, you do need to learn how to use it from workshop tutorial and user guide.
The shortcut to
these functions can be found from the IDV: Edit > Formulas > Jython Library,
and expand the tree of System > Grid Diagnostic or Grid Routines.   If you
found one you like
to use for your research but not in the derived list, you can go back to the
Field Selector, under Formulas, select Grids > Define a grid diagnostic, and
select a display type,
the new window will popup, and you can enter the new function name like
"LAP(S)" for the Laplacian, and go on....  It is not very easy but very
flexible for the user to have
control.  When you select the input variables, you need to be sure they all
have the same dimensions.  In some model outputs, u, v, and w can have
different dimensions, and
will cause error if you input them together.

Yuan

Ticket ID: FFM-996543
Department: Support IDV