[IDV #APF-259524]: Calculating areas of contoured data

Alexa,

Good to hear from you again!

To my knowledge, this will not be so easy in the IDV. Theoretically, you could
apply a maskGrid formula in the IDV above a certain threshold.  Then you would
have to calculate the area inside the closed curve. I see someone doing this in
Python here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22678990/how-can-i-calculate-the-area-within-a-contour-in-python-using-the-matplotlib

so -- grasping at straws -- you may be able to do this in a Jython formula.

Or you may be able to this in Python from the get-go. We could possibly help
you
out here too (address@hidden). Also gis.stackexchange.com could
be another good resource in this area.

I would encourage you to open up this discussion by submitting your question to
address@hidden.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Full Name: Alexa Van Eaton
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> I am trying to figure out of there is a way to calculate the area of a
> contour in IDV. For example, what is the area of the 255K temperature
> contour in the center of the attached satellite image? I also explored
> exporting that contour as a KML file to do the measurement in Google
> Earth, but it is exported as an image rather than a polyon (so I would
> need to re-trace it in Google Earth). Ideas for a workaround would
> be appreciated!
>
> Thank you

Ticket ID: APF-259524
Department: Support IDV