[IDV #KKS-476124]: Aggregate grids by time

> Yuan et al:
>
> I've recently been making extensive use of the Aggregate grids by
> time Data Source Type in IDV.  I am running IDV 5.0u3 and accessing Grib
> files locally stored on my iMac running MacOS 10.10.2.
>
> What I've noticed is that this Data Source Type works only
> intermittently.  Sometimes I will load in 24 files in this manner and it
> correctly identifies and sequences all the available times. This leads
> to loops that include plots at all the available time. Other times, it
> only identifies one time and it will only plot one time.
>
> I often save bundles when the files load in correctly.  If I close
> IDV and reload them, sometimes it will only identify and plot one time
> rather than all 24.  Further, when I reload the bundle, it will
> sometimes have the same problem, but plot a different time.  If I try a
> few times, eventually the bundle will finally load correctly.
>
> Let me know if you have any ideas what might be going on.
>
> Jim

Jim,
        I had a brief chat with Sean this morning about the issue you were
experiencing. It is likely
the grib files you were trying to aggregate have multiple time dimensions and
the ncml time aggregation is
not a good approach, in fact, the ncml time aggregation is going to be
deprecated in the future. The
better solution will be something like grid collection type, which can take
care multiple time dimensions
and other complicated structure when doing the aggregation. However, I don't
have the time line when
this feature will be available.

Yuan

Ticket ID: KKS-476124