[IDV #XNQ-939998]: GFS Best Time Series Problems

> Yuan:
>
> Here's another issue that might be more on the THREDDS Side than IDV.
>
> In the attached bundle gfs-BTS-problem.xidv, I'm accessing 3-h GFS
> Best Time Series data.  Note in the outgoing long-wave radiation how it
> is flicking back and forth presumably from differing model grids.  These
> are clearly not analysis times or forecast hours from the same model.
>
> Also, I thought that "Best Time Series" was supposed to grab
> analysis grids where possible?  In the attached atmos5010-nam.xidv
> bundle, it is clearly grabbing forecast grids when it should be grabbing
> analysis grids.
>
> Let me know if you have further questions.
>
> Jim

Jim,
      At this point, we know what is going on with the Best Time Series (BTS)
of GFS. I think the proposed analysis dataset collection
will be very helpful for your case.

      By the way, I did some tests on the NAM 12 km BTS and individual runs, it
does look correct to me and I wonder how
you come to the conclusion of: " First, during the periods prior to the latest
model run, I should be getting 0 hour analyses or
3 hour forecasts from the NAM.  That isn't the case, at least at times when a 0
hour analysis is available.  Instead,
I'm getting a 6 hour forecast (see, for example, 00, 06, 12, or 18 UTC times
early in the loop when satellite and radar
imagery are available."

     I compared the first few time steps of BTS with each individual runs, not
seeing any 6 hour forecast in the BTS. Do I miss
something?

Yuan

Ticket ID: XNQ-939998
Department: Support IDV