[IDV #IDE-963744]: Trouble overlaying wind vectors on wind speed color shaded plan view

> Full Name: Stephanie Phelps
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System: Mac
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hello,
>
> I want to make two identical figures for 1) 10 m level and 2) my 0.993 sigma
> level using WRF output.
>
> I want to overlay the wind vectors on wind speed.  I can successfully do this
> using the 2d derived 10m wind speed and vector variables (shown in 0z_10m
> attachment).
>
> When I try to make an identical plot for the 0.993 level using the 3d grid
> derived wind speed and vector variables it doesn't work.  The problem is that
> when I select the wind speed and vectors to be 'on' in the plot, for some
> reason about half the wind vectors disappear.  When I turn the wind speed
> 'off' in the plot, all of the wind vectors appear to be there.  It seems like
> for some reason the wind speed layer is covering up some wind vectors and I
> can't figure out why.  What it seems like I should do is somehow 'bring to
> the top' the layer that contains the wind vectors so they are overlaid and
> not somehow becoming covered up by the shaded wind speed layer.  I have tried
> a couple of different layers and this is happening with all of them.  I also
> played around with the transparency of the wind speed layer and that makes
> the 'missing' vectors somewhat visible, but they seem to be a different color
> compared to the other vectors?  Not sure why.  Has anyone else ever had thi
 s issue?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Stephanie,
        Use "Bring to the front" is the correct approach. Normally, you create
the display of color filled or color shaded plan view first, and then
the vector display, the later will be on the top. Sometime, you will have to
use the bring to the front feature to get what you wanted since
the IDV is 3D application and the rendering order might be the issue here.

Yuan

Ticket ID: IDE-963744
Department: Support IDV