[IDV #SVG-791407]: Precip error in GFS best time series?

Brian,

Although we have never responded here, several of us (mostly the TDS guys) have
been looking deeply into this issue. The short and incomplete answer is that
(mixed) intervals are very tricky to deal with and require nuanced reasoning to
properly handle. At this point, it is not obvious how we are going to present
this information to the user, and what will have to change in the IDV and/or
the TDS.

We will have a more complete answer in the near future hopefully.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Best and Latest GFS precip fields disagree badly at a common display time.
>
> Hypothesis:
> perhaps the analyses do not contain precipitation, so that the Best Time
> Series apparatus
> (which I do not understand) mis-aligns the time axis for that variable only?
>
> [cid:943bbd3d-3525-4ecf-ad25-47a42af8e05b@amazon.rsmas.miami.edu]

> •  Field: Total_precipitation_surface_Mixed_intervals_Accumulation (Total
> precipitation (Mixed_intervals Accumulation) @ Ground or water surface) from:
> Name: Best NCEP GFS Global 0.5 degree Time Series
> Files:
>
> • dods://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/dodsC/grib/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p5deg/best

> •  Field: Total_precipitation_surface_Mixed_intervals_Accumulation (Total
> precipitation (Mixed_intervals Accumulation) @ Ground or water surface) from:
> Name: Latest NCEP GFS Global 0.5 degree
> Files:

> http://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/dodsC/grib/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p5deg/files/GFS_Global_0p5deg_20140518_1200.grib2