[IDV #QHC-641183]: IDV v5.0:

> IDV support,
>
> I'm running IDV v5.0 (nightly build downloaded on April 1) under Mac OS X
> v.10.8.5.
>
> I've loaded a 1 degree GFS model analysis/forecast from
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/georesources/idvcatalog.xml and created a display
> (animation) of 700 mb temperature. By default, the display uses a global
> lat/lon projection, which is fine. (I have to bring the map background up to
> level 0.1 to see it.)
>
> The problem arises when I change the projection to something else, such as
> North America. The display gets corrupted when I do this (see attached
> bundle).

David,
      After loaded the GFS 1.0 data and created one display in the global
lat/lon projection, you need to go to the display control and check the Match
Display Area menu item under View. Now, if you change the projection to CONUS,
the display should be what you expected.

> When I change the projection to "World" (which I think is the initial,
> default projection for this data source), half of the display (the western
> hemisphere) is fine, but the other half of the display (the eastern
> hemisphere) loses all almost (but not quite) all east/west variability--it
> looks almost zonally averaged (though is probably just the values at around
> the international date line propagated westward to the prime meridian). I've
> attached a screen shot.

Since the projection "World" and the GFS default projection are different, you
can not use the "World" projction. If you want to go back to the GFS default
projection, use the "Use Grid Projection" under View menu. In some situation
the background map might be shifted, but the display should be normal.

Yuan

> From that point, there doesn't seem to be any other projection that I can
> pick that is 100% normal looking, either.
>
> (Note: I don't have any custom projections created in situ or loaded as a
> plugin.)
>
> -- Dave
>
> [cid:b10ce5a8-0799-432d-af24-77f36810a282@ad.sfsu.edu]

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                             |       ^   ___       \|/
>  *
> *   Dept. of Earth & Climate Sciences   |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University        | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                           |  )  )  /   ||_||    \
>     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132               |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716                    |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705                    | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>             |  )  )   )  )

Ticket ID: QHC-641183
Department: Support IDV