[IDV #DJK-649977]: Is there a way to point IDV to automatically-updating data ?

Becky,

Just summarizing our phone conversation "for the record". In short,
try to handle this at the file system level via scripts, or install a
TDS.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Hello,
>
> We have IDV installed on a workstation for a customer, and we are rsyncing
> wrf model output to this workstation.  We have the model output organized
> by domain, then by time of the model run.  For example, the 'd02' directory
> has these latest cycles:
> 2014030418
> 2014030506
> 2014030512
>
> and the contents of the 2014030512 directory has files named
> wrf_d02_201403050600.grb
> wrf_d02_201403050700.grb
> wrf_d02_201403050800.grb
> on up through
> wrf_d02_201403081200.grb
> (ie, final analysis files plus a 72-hour forecast).
>
> We are wondering if it is possible to set up a bundle that would point to
> the files in the latest-available cycle (rather than having the user have
> to browse-and-choose the latest-available model output).
>
> For example, the next cycle 2014030518 will appear and will be populated
> with files that start with wrf_d02_201403051200.grb and go through
> wrf_d02_201403081800.grb (in other words, the files within the next cycle
> directory will have new names, but since we are right now looking at two
> adjacent cycles, most of the file names will be the same, but if a user
> came back in a few days and opened up this hypothetical bundle in IDV,
> then there would be all new names of files).
>
> We were thinking of updating a softlink to point to the latest directory
> (in this case, 2014030512) and having the bundle look for data under the
> softlink, but as mentioned above, the file names will also update.
>
> Given the above description, is it possible for a bundle to be configurred
> to always go to the latest available data (and/or, would you suggest a
> directory structure where this might work?)
>
> Thank you,
>
> Becky Ruttenberg

Ticket ID: DJK-649977
Department: Support IDV