[IDV #VGJ-286620]: CF compliant Time in monthly steps

Greetings Fabien,

CF compliant netCDF files must use units that are compatible with the UDUNITS
package.
According to UDUNITS, the unit "months" is exactly year / 12, where year is
365.242198781 days. It's suggested by the CF conventions that month be used with
caution because of this:

http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.6/ch04s04.html

I've attached an NcML file to this email that will fix the file for you before
the IDV reads it in. Simply place the .ncml file in the same directory as the
file you are interested in, change the values of the time variables if it is a
leap year, change the location (top line) to point to the file you want, and
load in the ncml file into the IDV.

Cheers,

Sean

> Full Name: Fabien Maussion
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware: Java: home: /home/mowglie/bin/IDV_4.1/jre version: 1.6.0_41
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Dear IDV team,
>
> I have a NETCDF file with the "time" variable defined as "months since ...".
>
> IDV reads the time incorrectly, probably because "months" are not
> regularily spaced intervals in time. Tools like CDO, however, knows
> how to handle "months since ...". I attached a minimal working example
> file. Is it a bug in IDV?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Fabien Maussion

Ticket ID: VGJ-286620