[IDV #AID-467937]: protoleptic calendar, screen panics, wheel of death, and much more

> Government data servers are shut down.
> I will need to give my IDV seminar tomorrow with .zidv bundles.
>

> OK, so here is a set of .zidv bundles I made last spring.
> http://weather.rsmas.miami.edu:8080/repository/entry/show/RSMAS-UM+Repository+for+atm-ocean+data+and+its+science/The+Mapes+IDV+collection/IDV+Bundles/ZZZ+Need+to+be+republished+with+thumbnails/1-Demo+bundles.+Small%2C+fast%2C+showy/Zipped-with-data+%28.zidv%29+bundles/Heavy+rain+events+at+various+places?entryid=b2aff835-4dc8-424d-990f-71b13fb9234c
>

> When I try to open them, I get problem after problem. Here is a log:
> It is like a nightmare.
>
> ----------------------------
> 1. Let's start with one:
> File:   Hurricane.Mitch-1998-10-28-WithSSTA.zidv    8.84 MB
> I write the files to a temporary directory. Displays load. But the time
> animation is broken. This is the protoleptic calendar problem perhaps? Yuan,
> I thought this was fixed in the latest Java libraries? I am running 4.1u1
> from Sep 13.

I loaded this bundle, not seeing any error message. The time animation works
for the IR only, only see one or two time step of data for other dataset,  is
it what you seeing?

> * Changing the time control to "use all times from all data" doesnt fix it.
> * Defining a bracket time window like this causes mischief (error message).
> But then yes, some data streams appear to be 2 days offset (calendar error) .
> [cid:1a50f951-4ae4-4ce6-a383-bda64e28a3e1@amazon.rsmas.miami.edu]
>
> [cid:9fae0de8-d75e-4cbd-b1b0-310d86cef409@amazon.rsmas.miami.edu]
>

> ----------------------------
> Now let's try another. File:    HongKong200309-15.zidv    91.13 MB
> Download and File->Open.
>
> The time driver remained stuck on the previous times.
> Choosing "All times from all data" doesn't work.

The problem is that there is only one time step saved in the bundle for the
most dataset except IR, this may be the bug you are talking about. I will try
to reproduce it and let you know asap.

Yuan
> Changing the time dirver to a period bracketing the date in the bundle causes
> this panic:
> Error messages in the viewport. Something about projection although animation
> times are all I changed.
> [cid:6508e693-b04e-46fc-89df-0cc116ffa8cc@amazon.rsmas.miami.edu]
>
> -----------------
>
> Back to the previous bundle, open it again. Screen panic messages still
> there. Gotta quit.
>
> -------------------
> Restarted IDV.
> I open the HongKong one in a fresh session.
> No displays appear. I change dates. No displays.
>
> Oh wait! There are displays over North America!
> But they are from 1998! It's hurricane Mitch, even though this .zidv was
> opened
> in a fresh session. What th?? Are there not enough tmp directories, names
> getting confused? What th??
>

> Let's try one more.
> File:   Burma-1999-08-07(12:00Z).zidv    10.18 MB
> Remove all displays and data when opening.
> Set animation controller back to "use all times from all data." Nothing.
> Set animation controller around the bundle's time. Nothing.
> [cid:c5fdf4a9-4234-4946-a793-cc13637e2710@amazon.rsmas.miami.edu]
>
> Actually the spinning wheel and barrber pole at lower right just go and go.
> It's hung up somehow. Memory use is not it. It's just stuck, spinning wheel
> of death.
>
> -------------------
> Restarted IDV.
> Open the Burma bundle.
> Animation  controller comes up set on 1y intervals for some reason.
> No displays. Again spinning wheel of death.
> After a loooooooong time, it comes up (some displays).
> I adjust calendar for protoleptic problem. Screen panics about longitude.

> I don't know where to begin on all the ways IDV is failing me, the day before
> I mean to impress a large home audience with it (and 2 weeks before an even
> larger international audience I am practicing for). It's like a nightmare.
>
> Brian Mapes
> address@hidden or address@hidden

Ticket ID: AID-467937
Department: Support IDV