[IDV #JPV-688019]: experiments with "try to add displays to current windows"

> Hello IDV folk.
>
> I found three odd behaviours which impact my plans to develop a personal
> datasets & bundles collection that will allow users to build up
> multi-dataset integrations (overlays) easily.
>

> Attached are three bundles.
> Each contains a Z500 contour display. They are from 3 different reanalyses
> (using remote datasets, via aggregation .ncml files).
>

> * The 20C dataset hgt contours are pink, and its time driver is set to Jan 1,
> 2010
> (by typing in Jan 2 and hitting Apply, which made the time driver widget say
> Jan 1).
> * The NCEP1 dataset hgt contours are blue and time driver is set to Jan 1.
> * The MERRA dataset h contours are green and time driver is set to Jan 15.
>
> Problems/Issues:
> 1. When I load either of the Jan 1 datasets, the display shows Jan 2.
> The time driver menu widget has a date problem.
> (As in my one-hour-ago support ticket: the time driver menu widget weirdly
> changed to indicate Jan 1,2010 when I typed in Jan 2,2010 and then hit Apply.)

This is fixed.

> 2. When I load a second bundle, using "try to add displays to current
> windows",
> the new bundle's time driver (or lack of a time driver) overrides the
> preexisting time driver state. That's not what any user would want, I think .
>
> I expect to make bundles with each reanalysis dataset.
> I will want to overlay another reanalysis dataset on top,
> for intercomparison (creating an ensemble of estimates of the truth).
> I will never want the newly-added data to change the times I am working with.

In the time driver design, one view window can only have one driver. It is not
a good idea to
try to add the two drivers through opening bundles. The good practice is to
open the second view window and open the second bundle on the new window.

> 3. When I save a bundle without a time driver (by checking Use all times from
> all data),
> but with displays, loading it causes ALL the data on the remote server to
> begin loading.
> Yikes! Not good! So all these remote-dataset bundles have to have a time
> driver,
> if they have any displays at all. When I make a bundle with zero displays
> and no time driver (data source only), opening it eliminates the pre-existing
> time driver.
> That is a pain for building up data integrations, having to reset the time
> driver
> every time I add another layer.

I don't quite understand the first half of this problem. The second half sounds
like a bug, but there is a work around, you can open a new view window and load
the bundle w/o driver to the new view window, and then kill the new window and
create display on the first window. I think you can understand the trick of
doing it this way.

Yuan

> Hope these help you find a few bugs or retunes. Thanks!
> Brian
>

> Brian Mapes
> address@hidden

Ticket ID: JPV-688019